Special Education Department
The special education component of RESA 2 is for the improvement of special programs for handicapped and gifted exceptional learners in the six counties. A full-time Director of Special Education is responsible for the following activities:
- Development and improvement of services to exceptional learners.
- Development and revision of procedures used to implement the state and federal laws related to special education.
- Helping parents to become full partners in the education process of their exceptional child.
- Improving the effectiveness of the school level decision making process used to refer children to special education programs.
- Improving teaching skills of teachers involved in the specially designed instruction for exceptional learners.
- Providing special activities for exceptional students and/or their teachers.
The yearly implementation of these activities reflects the on-going commitment by the six counties of RESA 2 to provide quality programming services for exceptional learners.
Special Education Training Materials
The four learning styles
How do you adjust your teaching styles to students’ learning
Multiple Intelligence Theory
What is differentiated instruction and ways it occurs in the classroom.
Teaching strategies for differentiated instruction
How to plan for differentiated instruction, steps and resources to aid the process
Graphic organizer to differentiate instruction
Powerpoint from WVDE describing Differentiated Instruction
Six steps to a successful co-teaching situation
Approaches to Co-Teaching
Six approaches to Co-Teaching and descriptions Characteristics and variations
New models that rely on flexible schedules Issues that occur in Co-Teaching
Observation form to evaluate your own Co-Teaching situation
Powerpoint from WVDE about Co-Teaching
What is summative and formative assessment? Formative samples
Standardized testing and examples of commonly used tools
How does assessment inform your instruction
Best Practices in Mathematics
What is “Best Practices” in Math?
Teaching and Learning – Best Practice Best Practices in Developmental Mathematics
Examples of Best Practices
Alternate Assessment (APTA)
Technology Special Ed. Forms and Info